November 03, 2013

Being a woman in Iran

Christina Lamb spoke with Iranian physics student and talented pianist Sepideh, 25, who was arrested two years ago for being improperly dressed with her coat was above her knee. Sepideh explained:
"The police bundled me into their van, then drove around and picked up other women until it was full. They took photos of us as if we were criminals and we were held for about five hours. Some of the women were crying and pleading but I was angry and determined to stay calm. Finally they called our parents to bring ‘proper clothes’. After that I wore shorter clothes, I just became careful to look out for the Ershad. I felt insulted." 
Khaterah of Tehran University suggested things have started to change under Rouhani. She said: "At Tehran University we are all dressing and speaking more freely."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...